NameSilo

news A Parked Page Gets A Bad Rep From TV Station

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So you think a scam site is okay?
From the article, that site is nothing but ripping off people.
EG: A SCAM SITE!

•••
Did you even go to the site? Its a standard parked page from DNS or Sedo. Now the links on it that sometimes can not be controlled the the domain owner but yet it is still a parked page with ads that we also have on our parked pages.

•••
Yes I read it, and yes, I do believe that crap like that should not be allowed.

•••
This is the ad network's fault, not the domainer's. Domainers have little to no control over what ads are placed on their parked domains these days. If an advertiser is using a design and language that tricks visitors into thinking it's a government-affiliated website, then that advertiser should be removed from the ad network. There's not much domainers can do about that other than not park their domain(s), which may be a vital part of their business model.

There's nothing inherently wrong with parking domains. Most parked domains are quite convenient for people. As with everything, there are plenty of ways people can and do abuse it.

•••
Its not a scam site at all, its simply a parked page. The user in the article had to have then made another selection to get to the scam site. This page is totally legit, and the reporter is as clueless as the "victim". There is nothing wrong with the parked site.

I would add though, scam sites do a service be removing money from the stupid and the gullible. Had they kept their money they may have gotten involved with gambling and prostitutes, hence the site did a community service.

•••
You call it a parked page.
I still call it a scam.
As most parked pages are.

•••
When your a news station's consumer affairs reporter it's hard to come up with 5-6 of these type of stories week after week after week. Soon it's domain parking turn.

But to think that black page with eight or so lines that say things like "Free Auto Insurance Quotes" is the state's Motor Vehicle Dept. LOL

Last man on planet to discover what a Park Page is lives in AZ

But I have no problem with the real reason for the story, know you might type in a domain wrong and land somewhere else.

•••
I'm sincerely shocked and I totally agree with @iowadawg

90% of my income comes from parking but I had no idea they did what it's described in the article.
Since I've never click on my ads, I always thought the actual ads were legitimate (being controlled by Google)

what the hell is this and why is it allowed? This is hurting both the visitors AND the owners of the domain names, not to mention domaineering in general

•••
Next to impossible for ad networks to automatically detect that kind of scam. They'll take action if people report it.

•••
I love how some local news sites don't allow comments on their articles.

•••
The domain owner is responsible for the content of the page, even if it's just a parked page with ad network content on it.

•••
One thing to keep in mind...
Most people on the internet do not know what a parked page is or how it works.

•••
One thing to keep in mind...
Most people on the internet do not know what a parked page is or how it works.
They have no clue generally.

•••
0clicks have the most scammiest squeeze pages and get-rich-quick schemes.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back