Domain Empire

new gtlds A decade in should we really still be calling them new gtlds? Especially with a new round coming

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
It was back on February 5th of 2014 when the first group of Latin script new gtlds went live. It's been 10 years. Someone the other day asked me why are still calling them new gtlds?You're ten year old is certainly not a newborn and your ten year old car has lost that new car smell. So what should we call these things now? Now I know some will just say a failure due to their disdain. … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it’s just everybody knows what you’re talking about when you use that phrase. Plus, nobody has come up with a suitable replacement people can agree on.

•••
P.I.N. = Post Infestation Nomenclature

•••
So what should we call these things now?
Screenshot_20240509_070723_Photos.jpg

•••
•••
No matter whether they are New or Not ,we aim to profit from them, to some extend, We have lost many opportunities on them as those people who had registered at very early age when Ngtlds come out, we call them“Early bird”.

actually,I get benefited from new extensions but not that much,therefore, i will stick to it till a big fish out of water.

•••
For example:I can't even sell meta.markets to Facebook if there is no such New extension exists

•••
I propose 'LT'. Short, easy to remember and we all know what a Lottery Ticket is.

•••
I propose 'LT'. Short, easy to remember and we all know what a Lottery Ticket is.
lol.

Probably "new G's" will stick it's hard to rename a sticky if even it is no longer relevant to the original mindset.

There has been:

- NextGen (which I have used) but it feels eh
- Non-coms
- Alts

Basically these are Generic Top-Level Domains just like the rest (dot-coms, org, net, biz, info even mobi) its just they were released almost 3 decades after the originals hence the "new".

They most all work the same anyways, some subtle differences like dot-app where a requirement is https.

•••
Probably "new G's" will stick it's hard to rename a sticky if even it is no longer relevant to the original mindset.

I agree. It's to the point and the majority of people working with domains know what it means .

Personally I categorise in winners and losers. I'm TLD agnostic. Whatever works best for your specific usage is the winner. Granted, nGs don't come on top often but it's not uncommon for .com to bite the dust.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back