NameSilo

question What If TLDs Are Chinese?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Here's an excellent article I just read. If you're into domaining, you should read this. It explains tlds and their chinese meaning. Could there be something to this?
Do certain top level domain names have a Chinese meaning?

We’ve often seen TLDs repurposed. For instance, .ME and .TV – originally the country codes of Montenegro and Tuvalu, respectively – are mainly understood as words. While .SI means Slovenia in Slovenia, Spanish speakers might read it as “yes”. More recently, .PW has been marketed as a shorthand for “professional web”. Such extra interpretations can be either natural or forced. Some arise without prompting; some fail to catch on despite heavy promotion. Either way, they occur
Here's the article.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Converting tlds to pinyin and trying to create a new wave of hype is pointless. Why not convert all the English words to pinyin and try to find something? Madness.

•••
Here's an excellent article I just read. If you're into domaining, you should read this. It explains tlds and their chinese meaning. Could there be something to this?

Here's the article.
Very interesting. One thing the whole Chinese market scenario has taught me is that the more angles you factor in the better. Some will be red herrings, but what the hell. Some won't.

•••
Converting tlds to pinyin and trying to create a new wave of hype is pointless. Why not convert all the English words to pinyin and try to find something? Madness.
lol

•••

This post has used the 'Google Chinese Translator' which is obsolete.

However, for instance, .la is becoming an extension growing in China. 'La' in Pinyin can mean 'spicy' 'to play' 'to draw'.
.so also becoming a noted extension being bought.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back